Self Employment Enterprise
Self-employment is an option that may be considered for any DRS customer when it is determined through the IPE (Employment Plan) process that this is an appropriate method for that individual to reach the established employment goal. Self-employment must reflect the individual's career interests and informed choice to the extent that those factors are consistent with the unique strengths, resources, priorities, concerns, abilities, and capabilities of the individual. The self-employment enterprise option is based on the results of the eligibility determination assessment and any additional needs assessments required to develop the Employment Plan.
Self-employment or self-employment enterprise (SEE) means the individual is earning income directly from the individual's own business, trade, or profession rather than from a specified salary or wages from an employer. A self-employment enterprise must:
- Comply with all relevant state, federal and local laws and regulations.
- Involve sole ownership and management of the business by the DRS customer.
- Enable the individual to meet ongoing living and business expenses.
- Be intended to become a major source of income for the individual.
The following documents are provided to assist you and your counselor in your pursuit of self-employment in general and, in particular, if you are seeking to solicit financial support through the Department of Rehabilitative Services.
- If you have little or no experience in small business, consider answering the Self-Assessment Questionnaire initially, to give yourself and your counselor some perspective on where you are in the process.
- The Consumer's Guide to Self-Employment will give you insight into the DRS Self-Employment Enterprise program and its procedures, as well as what will be expected of you. A business plan outline is provided, along with a sample business plan for your review, as are cash flow projection and personal budget templates.
- Congratulations on your decision to pursue self-employment. This is a challenging, yet potentially rewarding undertaking that will require considerable effort on your part. Your Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor and the DRS Self-Employment Enterprise Coordinator will work with you to develop your proposal, but it is up to you to take responsibility for its creation and ultimately, its success. Additional Tools for Self Employment Enterprise are listed below:
DRS Business Outline
Sample Business Plan - Ace Cleaners
Cash Flow Projections
- Successful Self-Employment Enterprise Programs
Self-Employment Enterprises Coordinator
Fishersville, Virginia 22939